Tuesday, November 27, 2012
HOT TREND: WINE-STAINED LIPS
Scared of the vampy statement lip? The dark lip trend isn't as hard to pull off as it may seem. From mulberry lipstick to deep berry stains, find your perfect shade here
It's the oldest trick in the "How to Update Your Look" handbook: new season, new lip color.
Except this year, the trendy shade shift wasn't from cherry to raspberry. No, all the cool kids are flaunting vampy, dark lipsticks that look like they were pulled straight from the "Twilight" series. And of course, when the models and celebs do it, they pull off the trend flawlessly.
Fair skin gals should opt for deep red or rich berry hues. For more oomph, add some gloss to the vampy hue. A high shine formula will attract even more focus to your pout. Just be sure to blot well to avoid bleeding outside of the lip lines.
1. Revlon Color Burst Lipbutter in Red Velvet, $7.49
2. cK One Lipgloss in Mad, $15
Women with olive or medium complexions should choose red-based maroon shades, which will warm the gold and yellow undertones in your skin. Just don't go too far into the browns. You don't want your lips to blend into your complexion.
1. Dior Rouge Dior Replenishing Lip Color in Fantastic Plum, $32
2. Maybelline ColorSensational Lipcolor in Deepest Cherry, $7.49
Ladies with darker complexions are lucky when it comes to the dark lipstick trend; they can venture into the world of blue-based purples. That collection of colors has a big bonus: They will make your teeth look extra white.
1. Mac Cosmetics Lipstick in Smoked Purple, $15
2. Illamasqua Lipstick in Underworld, $24
Not ready to go full Goth? Opt for a lighter berry shade that has pink undertones. Think rich raspberry instead of plum.
1. CoverGirl LipPerfection LipColor in Eternal, $5.99
2. Lancome Rouge in Love Lipstick in Rose Sulfureuse, $25